6 ways to shop small and support local businesses when searching for gifts
When looking for that perfect gift to send loved ones, we know it's not always easy or possible to shop locally with independent businesses. We've popped together a few simple tips that can help you shop small and shop local!
1. Browse our gifts - If you haven't done so already, why not check out our popular regional gift sets. We love showcasing UK based artisan businesses, and what's more, we partner with eco-minded business who have the planet in mind. One of many reasons why our customers choose to gift with us. Take a look here!
2. Get planning - shopping more consciously doesn't really go hand in hand with 'last minute' purchases. It's all about planning ahead in terms of what you might need and potentially grouping purchases together with other items. A shopping trip in to town for some banking could also double up with buying any gifts that you might need to give or send for the month ahead. It sounds really obvious, but this can save you time and energy down the line, whilst proving to be cost effective and better for the planet (as you are less likely to purchase 'last minute' throwaway gifts).
3. Do your research - It's ok to ask someone close to the giftee about what they might like or what hobbies they have recently enjoyed. You can then search online for small businesses in your area that make/sell something extra special and unique.
4. Join groups on social media - A great way to discover local independent businesses in your area is to join the various local small business groups on Facebook or other similar platforms. Remember many small businesses may not have a high street presence or a website, but may choose to make/sell from their home via word of mouth or other online outlets. Groups are a great way to discover and support small businesses in your area not just for gifting but for many day-to-day purchases.
5. Stuck for ideas? - Why not create a small hamper filled with items from local independents such as a deli or farm shop. Your hamper could include honey, chutneys, cheese, crackers, a bar of soap, lip balm, art or even locally brewed alcohol.
6. Really stuck? - Gift vouchers are a great way of supporting independents. We now offer e-gift cards which are a great if you are stuck in which of our collections to choose or you've left it too late - why not give the gift of choice? Send an e-gift card with ease and let them choose a gift just right for them. Take a look at our e-gift cards.
Remember your support for small businesses can be shown in many ways, not just a purchase.
Don't forget to leave reviews/testimonials, share a shout-out on social media, spread the word to friends and family and follow businesses you enjoy on social media.
Hope you found this article useful, feel free to share it with friends and family.